Sunday, June 2, 2013

A Whole New World of Organization

If you walk into my home, it wouldn't take you long to know that organization is not one of my strong points.  My poor husband tries to help by picking up the clutter around the house and finding a home for it (many times his "home" ends up being the trash can), but much to his dismay, his need to organize hasn't rubbed off on me much in the last 10 years.  I have a lot of stuff, and tend to accumulate more stuff all the time.  I will even admit that from time to time I will watch an episode or two of Hoarders, just to make myself feel a bit better :)

However, when it comes to my digital life, I attempt to do a better job of organizing my "stuff."  Social media is constantly feeding me a stream of information and resources that even though I might not need them today, I see that there is a potential need for them in my future.  So, how to I keep it all straight?

Up until today, I have used Pinterest as a holding pen for all of my professional development information that I find interesting and useful.  I like that I can "pin it" and know that it will be there for me in the future.   I have built a library of resources there that I can pull from quickly which I love.

I am also really liking a new tool that I just tried today which is called Scoop.it.  This is another tool that can be used to curate information about any topic.  What I think is great about it is that you can just give it a few key words and it begins to feed you information that it thinks you would find helpful.  The suggested articles and pages that it brought up for me were fantastic.  Literally within a few minutes I had the beginnings of a library of resources on educational technology and professional development.  So this new tool is quickly becoming a favorite of mine and I think I'll be using it quite frequently in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment